Eagles followers troll Packers with cream cheese 🧀
💌 Need this day by day digest emailed to you? Join the free Billy Penn publication and it’ll land in your inbox each morning.
Can journalism that facilities neighborhood assist cease shootings?
In his 17 years on the Philadelphia Every day Information, Jim MacMillan thinks he most likely reported on 2,000 shootings.
- However he more and more started to query the way it was achieved. MacMillan based an org devoted to enhancing this — and it just lately printed analysis exhibiting episodic protection can really result in extra violence.
How ought to journalists cowl the taking pictures epidemic? BP contributor Maria Mitri has a glance inside a two-year effort to make reporting a part of the answer.
10 belongings you’ll discover at Christmas Village & Made in Philly market
Searching for that intangible winter marvel we name vacation cheer? You’ll discover it on the middle of Philadelphia.
- The annual winter pop-ups are again, filling Dilworth Park, the Metropolis Corridor courtyard, and Love Park with practically 200 distributors providing presents, meals, and a bustle of colourful exercise.
It’s value going even for those who’re not buying, only for the vibe. Listed here are 10 issues to search for at Christmas Village and the Made in Philadelphia Vacation Market.
RECAP: What else occurred?
$ = paywalled
- The variety of taxicabs in Philly has shrunk by half over the previous three years, and since Uber arrived in 2014, the worth of a medallion has plummeted 98%, from $545k to $12k. [Inquirer$/BP 2014]
- Middle Metropolis foot site visitors final month was again to practically three-quarters of prepandemic ranges. Taxable gross sales from outlets and retail have been at 88%, with bars and eating places at 87%. [Center City District]
- The motion to create an official “Africatown” in Southwest Philly bought a $9 million enhance from a state RACP grant. [WHYY]
- The singing Sweet Woman is an area movie star. With containers of treats atop her head, she’s in all places — however nonetheless working to capitalize on her fame. [Biz in the Hood/Inquirer$]
- Kalaya opens Tuesday in Fishtown, with an enormous new area that feels a world aside from the unique Italian Market BYOB, however serves the identical meals impressed by chef Nok Suntaranon’s childhood in Thailand. [Philly Grub/Philly Mag$]
- Throughout the Birds high-scoring victory on the Linc final evening, Eagles followers trolled the Packers with “Philadelphia cream cheese” heads. Off the subject, in the meantime, Eagles gamers bond over video video games like Grand Theft Auto. [Billy Penn/NYT$]
The story you didn’t learn
🌟 Highlighting good BP articles few folks clicked on 🌟
- North Philly eighth grader Aazim Ferrell’s dream is to personal a ranch and prepare horses. Together with emotional assist courses at college, he credit his driving membership with serving to flip his life round.
No public occasions for Mayor Kenney right now. He spent Small Enterprise Saturday touring Germantown Avenue storefronts, together with Ubuntu Nice Artwork Gallery and others.
ON THE CALENDAR
🎾🍺 BP Quizzo is again! Be part of us at Padelphia on the Schuylkill River throughout from Manayunk. We’ll have three rounds of native trivia, drinks, snacks, prizes — and an opportunity to seek out out extra concerning the apparently fashionable racket sport known as Padel. Free RSVP right here. (7 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 15)
🏘️ A dialogue on the African American Museum explores what we’d be taught from the Home of Umoja, recognized for a Seventies peace treaty that lowered metropolis violence. (6:30 to eight:30 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 30)
🎩 Dress in your greatest and hop on a bicycle: “A Correct Trip” meets at thirtieth Road Station and ends at a pub, with prizes for prime trend. (2:15 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 3)