💌 Need this each day digest emailed to you? Join the free Billy Penn e-newsletter and it’ll land in your inbox each morning.
Helen Gymnasium resigns prematurely of mayoral run
Seems yesterday’s full, 17-member complement of Metropolis Council members was destined to final fewer than 24 hours.
- Activist-turned-lawmaker Helen Gymnasium introduced her resignation yesterday forward of a probable mayoral bid — a long-expected transfer for the politician, who was the primary Asian American girl on Council.
Prematurely of Gymnasium becoming a member of the crowded mayoral race, Asha Prihar recaps how she turned one in every of Philly’s most distinguished progressive voices.
We’re tailgating an Eagles sport with Misconduct Tavern
Take a look at your Philly sports activities information at a BP Quizzo tailgate earlier than the NFL-leading Eagles tackle the Titans at Lincoln Monetary Discipline at 1 p.m..
- We’ll be organising in Lot Okay with an enormous WHYY tent. Swing by to reply trivia questions on your favourite groups’ previous, current, and future — you’ll win prizes and bragging rights.
The trivia contest can be operating all morning by kickoff, with drinks courtesy of Misconduct Tavern. Free RSVP right here. Go Birds, and see you there.
RECAP: What else occurred?
$ = paywalled
Weekly transient on gun violence prevention (with PCGVR)
We publish this report every week in partnership with the Philadelphia Middle for Gun Violence Reporting.
By the numbers in Philadelphia
- 27: Capturing victims recorded final week, vs. 27 the week prior. [City Controller via @PCGVR]
- 2,152: Capturing victims this 12 months, 1% forward of final 12 months’s tempo. [PCGVR]
- 472: 12 months-to-date homicides, 7% down from final 12 months’s tempo; up 61% vs. 5 years in the past [Philly Police]
Mayor Kenney attends funeral providers for the late Firefighter John Flood, who died from occupational most cancers earlier this month after 28 years within the division (11 a.m.).
ON THE CALENDAR
🎾🍺 BP Quizzo is again! Be part of us at Padelphia on the Schuylkill River throughout from Manayunk. We’ll have three rounds of native trivia, drinks, snacks, prizes — and an opportunity to seek out out extra in regards to the apparently fashionable racket sport known as Padel. Free RSVP right here. (7 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 15)
🐶 Want a final minute Christmas card photograph? Kimpton’s Lodge Palomar is letting your pup pose with Santa without spending a dime, with treats from dog-friendly confectionary Salty Paws. (1 to 4 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 3)
📜 Try the treasures of the Historic Society of Pennsylvania on the Younger Mates’ open home, the place you may get unique entry to items of state historical past for simply $10. (6 to eight p.m. Thursday, Dec. 8)